Thursday, February 9, 2012

On Their Way....

Today, my mom and dad leave on the trip of a lifetime.

When I was little, I remember them talking about a trip to Hawaii as their be-all-end-all travel destination.  Now, years later, despite a fair bit of travel, they still  haven't made it to Hawaii (yet!).  But Hawaii doesn't have anything on the adventure they are about to begin.....

As I type, my mom and dad are headed to Africa, to visit my sister Annie in Rwanda.


As I've mentioned here many times before, Annie is serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Rwanda, teaching biology and English, and doing a dozen other amazing things.

 

Annie is a little more than half way through her service, which is hard to believe.  It  seems like only last week that we were saying goodbye. Her time in Rwanda has been filled with excitement and struggle and questions and culture shock and great joys and mind-boggling accomplishment. 
And, I am so over-the-moon excited for my mom and dad.  They have always been up for an adventure, but a few years ago, I don't think any of us would have imagined that they'd be headed to Africa.


And of course, I am SO proud of Annie.  Her service and selflessness inspire me everyday.  We've been fortunate to keep in pretty close touch, despite the distance, with phone calls and emails and even Skypeing from time to time.

Check out Annie's blog The Long Way Around to see about all the amazing things she is doing.


Mom and Dad:
Here's to a extraordinary and safe journey.  We're sending all of our love along with you.  Have an amazing time - - for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment