Sunday, November 6, 2011

Return on investment....

I've been preparing Henry and Anna for weeks.....

"Guess what we're doing on Saturday?  We're taking pictures for our holiday card."

I really didn't get too many objections from either Henry or Anna, but past experience made me afraid - - very afraid.

Why is it always so much easier to photograph someone else's family???

Generally, I must admit that Henry is pretty good about the whole "dress-up and pose" idea.  But Anna - - well, she is completely hot or cold.  And her mood can dictate e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. 

So, the big day arrived (yesterday), and Anna happened to wake up at 6:30 a.m. - almost an hour and a half earlier than normal. (!!!!!)  Clearly, that didn't bode well.  And as expected, by 1:00 p.m., she was in tears over every little thing.  I saw my plans unraveling.  But, somehow the photo gods were in my corner.  Anna was agreeable to a nap. Really, I can't remember the last time she took a nap at home, but she was asleep within 5 minutes.  And just two hours later, we were dressed and ready for our adventure.

This time, despite all of my past Henry and Anna photo failures, I was determined to leave all of that baggage at home.  We would just make it work.  No matter what.  To quote Anna's preschool teachers, "I'd get what I'd get and I wouldn't throw a fit."

And then, one more, very crucial piece fell into place. My dear husband made the mistake of uttering the words: "Do you want me to come along?"

I pounced!  "Yes!!  Really?  Would you???"

"I was kidding." he said flatly, but he knew it was too late.  There was no going back.

So, we headed off.  (all of us!) I had scoped out my perfect spot in town. And yes, it was windy and a little cool and the sunlight was fading fast.  But I was determined..... 

Oh, um....one more thing.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I should reveal the little surprise up my sleeve.  Well - - in my pocket, actually....Twenty crisp one dollar bills.  A little bait that turned out to be the icing on the photo cupcake.  I promised the kids one buck for every five minutes of pictures taken without incident.  I brought a timer, pronounced myself completely in charge, and offered the opportunity for instant gratification. Any resistance or complaints would result in the loss of a dollar.

Clearly, when it came to these pictures, I was not above bribery. And to my amazement, it worked like a charm. Despite one small wardrobe malfunction that nearly derailed everything within the first 5 minutes, it was perfect.  PERFECT!!

Henry and Anna were my star models.  They posed and played and listened and agreed to all of my crazy antics.  The kids didn't mind when next-door pizzeria staff wandered in and out of our back-alley-studio.  We changed clothes.  We switched locations. Ray manned the mobile-photo-rest-station (mini-van), complete with non-messy snacks and heat. Geez, Anna even wore a hat that she absolutely despised.  "Okay, I'll wear it," she said reluctantly, knowing her dollar depended on it. 

Honestly, I was stunned.  And I couldn't have been any more proud of my dear ones.  They actually had fun!

And of course, the most beautiful part?  I got the pictures.  In particular, I got heart-melting shots of Henry and Anna together.  I barely ever get those, and somehow - yesterday - I did.  I was nearly in tears behind my camera.  I finally got for myself what I have been giving to other families over and over this past year.  My heart was bursting each time I snapped.

Best twenty bucks I ever spent.

So obviously, I can't wait to share. But, the photos are under wraps until my holiday card goes out.  And now, the wonderful (and unexpected) dilemma: I figured I'd be lucky to get one good shot.  Now I have dozens.  Oh, what to do....

But, until I decide, here is my sneak peek.

102small

Anna101x2small

Oh, be still my mama heart.....

2 comments:

  1. Definitely going to bring out the dollar bills for our next family photos! These are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your an amazing woman...i love your wrighting...
    gretchen smith

    ReplyDelete