Saturday, September 25, 2010

In a flash...

I was leaving the house for work this morning, just a little after 7 a.m. It is a rare Saturday when I have to work, let alone go downtown to the office. But, this was one of those mornings. I didn’t really have a choice in the matter.

As I was headed out the door, I noticed that there was a beautiful sunrise taking shape, with the sun barely up over the trees. And then, when I started backing my car out of the garage, there were raindrops on my windshield. I didn’t expect it to be raining, given I had just noticed the sun coming up. For some reason, a thought popped into my head. There must be a rainbow somewhere. Now, I'm not normally a pretty-rainbow-and-unicorns kind of person...the thought just flashed. But, sure enough...I turned around and directly to the west, there was the most vivid double rainbow I’ve ever seen. Ever. And I could see them, end to end. It was amazing. I couldn't help but be in awe.

Now, I wasn't going to go all "double-rainbow-guy" on it (have you seen this video?). But, there was also no way I could just drive off without sharing it….

I put my car in park, ran back inside the house and called to the kids. Come downstairs quick!! Everyone was up early this morning (sorry Ray!) and they were all piled in our bed watching Saturday morning cartoons. Henry and Anna ran down and we shared the rainbow together as we stood on the front porch. It was a quick moment and I’m not sure the kids appreciated it as much as I did. But it was a moment none-the-less. We shared something beautiful and unexpected and that’s what mattered most to me.

The kids and I exchanged a few more hugs and kisses. And just as I turned to leave (again), Henry said “Mom, rainbows are good luck. It is going to be a good day!”

If I have to work on a Saturday, this is exactly the send-off I’d hope for…

(I know, I know. Cue: sappy music and tears welling up in moms's eyes..)

I happened to have my camera in my car, so before I left my driveway, I snapped this quick picture. Since there were houses in the shot, I thought I’d drive a little and take another few pictures. But, I hadn’t even made it a half mile down the road and the rainbow was gone. Completely gone. The clouds had moved in over the sun, and it vanished...

Life is like that. Little moments. Gone in a flash. I think life presents its beauty to us all the time. The question is whether we stop to notice it or not. There are opportunities all around. Windows opening. Love. Little kindnesses. Joy. It is there in front of us. We just have to be present for it. Notice. Before it vanishes.

Damn if I’m not going to try and take notice of those gone-in-a-moment flashes.

Everyday.

(See what a little rainbow in the morning can do? Turned me into a two-cent philosopher…)

No comments:

Post a Comment