Monday, December 13, 2010

11 things....

December 13th, 2011
Picture the Holidays: Every Day Divine

No matter what holiday you celebrate, chances are there is something divine about it. There is a reverie this time of year for forces far grander than ourselves. We honor our family, friends, connection, love, light and a source that makes it all possible. Find a way today to translate the truth for you. Share the divinity in your life, whether it be through an obvious symbol or an overall feeling you carry.

This is my grandfather. He’ll celebrate his 101'st birthday on Christmas Eve. He is the wisest and most gentle spirit I have ever known. His hands have given love and kindness every single day, throughout his many years.

To me, he represents the divine in every day.

Reverb10: Action
Action When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

Thinking, thinking...

December 12th, 2011
Picture the Holidays: Happy Personified
It's been said that smiling is contagious. I think it's true. Smile and the whole world smiles back at you. No matter what kind of smile you find (something literal or more figurative), let it bring out the best in you!

When you are three years old, having permission to jump on mom's bed is the absolute definition of happiness.

(And trust me, there is a whole lotta happy on the top half of this picture too!)

Reverb10: Body Integration
This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present? (Author: Patrick Reynolds)

I think it was this day. It was one huge "a-ha" moment. And I haven't looked back since....

December 11th, 2011
Reverb10: 11 Things

What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson)

Yippee! A list. I love a good list....

1. I do not need guilt….the mommy kind, the wife kind, the friend, work-related and workout-related kind. Shoulda, woulda, coulda’s - - all a waste of my time and energy. I am enough (as Tracey Clark so wisely says…and I'm trying to believe it.) If I need to make a change, then I need to just do it. Otherwise, I need to accept whatever it is, lose the guilt and move on.

2. I do not need the 15 extra pounds that I gained back after I quit my triathlon training last summer. I’m sure I can fit exercising in my schedule again. I really have to! And good news: I think the 3 a.m. to 4 a.m. timeslot is currently open on my calendar. So that just might work… (ok - the scary thing is that I’m not kidding.)

3. I do not need mindless, useless tv and radio. I don’t have time for much anyway. Regardless, if it doesn’t feed my mind or spirit, then it needs to go. (Note to self: Christmas music doesn't count).

4 I do not need negative energy in my life. From myself or from those around me. I’ve been working hard to surround myself with people who bring good things to my life. The rest is just noise that I need to let roll off my back.

5. I do not need 12 weeks of paid vacation on the books (which is what I currently have). The "save, save, save" mindset is a hold-over from when I was getting ready for maternity leaves. But, that is clearly not an issue anymore… So, starting with the New Year, I’m taking two weeks off in January. The kids will be in daycare and school. Two precious weeks just for me. I can hardly wait!

6. I do not need refined sugar, caffeine or fast food in my life. I do not need to eat mindlessly. Bad habits have taken over and it’s time to get back on track again.

7. I do not need to doubt my abilities. And I do not need to compare myself to others. I really think I have a clear picture of where I’m at and what I need to learn. So, I can look to others for inspiration, but NOT to make me feel somehow less or inadequate. I will simply move forward. I really, really believe the rest will fall into place.

8. I do not need to waste my time. I am pretty efficient most days, but sometimes I spin my wheels too. I think I could make even better use of my time. This looks like just what I need for a little motivation. Help to focus my efforts on the important things. That will be the only way to squeeze an extra hour or two out of the day. Well that, and time travel....I've got Henry busy working on a secret little project for me right now!

9. I do not need to keep all the clothes that I haven't worn in ages cluttering up my closet. Kid's closets too. I think it is time to purge and donate.

10. I do not need to spend money carelessly, on things that we don’t need. We’re pretty frugal overall, but I think we can be even more conscious about how we spend. (I especially get suckered by charming and/or whining kiddos!)

11. I do not need to let fear stop me. My friend Jen offered this last week: "Failure seldom stops you. What stops you is the fear of failure. I agree completely. I have no idea what might be ahead in the coming year. But regardless, I commit to going forward with courage and confidence.

Wow! Talk to me in a year....

1 comment:

  1. That photo of your Grandfather's hands left me speechless. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete