Thursday, December 2, 2010

In my spare time...

Okay, like I don't already have enough to do...

I mentioned in an earlier post, I am participating in "Picture the Holidays," to inspire and motivate my daily practice of taking pictures. It started yesterday, and I'm very excited about it! So far, I've posted these two quick pictures:

December 1st: Gratitude
I am grateful that when we pulled out the Christmas stuff that had been packed away, my kids liked the holiday books best of all....



December 2nd: Framing the Holidays
Right now: my family, the holidays and my camera. Obsessed by all three!



I also just learned about this very cool project called Reverb10. Here is the deal:

Reverb 10 is an open online initiative that encourages participants to reflect on this year and manifest what’s next. It’s an opportunity to retreat and consider the reverberations of your year past, and those that you’d like to create in the year ahead. We’re connected by the belief that sharing our stories has the power to change us.

So, for each day in December, Reverb10 will send me an email with a writing prompt. I can write a little, or write a lot. Doesn't really matter. The point is to just reflect back and give thought to what is next.

Of course, I really really don't have time for one more thing. But yet, this just fits so perfectly for me. I NEVER expected all of the things that have graced my life this past year. Never ever ever ever. So I think I need to take a hard look at what is next. Find some direction. Not only the pictures, but the writing too. And SO many other things this year. Incredible things. I owe it to myself to take a step back. (And really, don't we all....?)

So, I'll do my best. I'll just include something quick at the end of my regular posts. I'll make it work. It will be fine. fine. fine.... Heck, my holiday shopping is done. What more do I really have to do this month, right? I'd probably just be sitting around anyway watching reality tv and eating candy cane ice cream....

(Bear with me. I'm convincing myself. )

Consider playing along. I think these are fabulous questions for all of us!

---------------------------

So, here are the first two Reverb10 prompts (and my quick catch-up replies).

December 1st: One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)

My 2010 word: REMARKABLE
This year has been so unexpected and extraordinary in a dozen different ways....the blog, the pictures, a whole new creative side opening up for me. Ray's success at school. Henry & Anna growing and changing in so many wonderful ways. Annie leaving for the Peace Corps. Courage and inspiration all around me. A few new friendships. A few friendships taken to a whole new level. All of it - remarkable!

My word for2011: BEYOND
The challenge to myself: going beyond expectations. Way beyond what I can even imagine right now, as I sit here in this chair. Pushing myself beyond my (often) self-imposed limits as a parent, a wife, a friend and daughter. As a blogger, a creative person, a photographer (there, I said it...photographer). Having the courage to create something for myself that I always thought was beyond me. Finally understanding that it isn't beyond me...But instead, it IS me.

December 2: Writing
Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it? (Author: Leo Babauta)

Honest (and I'm a little ashamed to admit): Checking email and Facebook waaayyyy too often. Especially considering I barely send emails or post to FB. I'm a chronic lurker/stalker. I am powerless over the little computer tone that means "you have a new email" or the (2) that indicates a notification or message on FB. Thank god I don't have a smart phone or that I don't twitter. I'd never see my family...I MUST STOP!

With Reverb10 as my witness, I vow to check
just twice a day. Okay three. Four...no three. I can manage three checks a day. That's it. And I'll dedicate the saved time towards something much more productive and creative and fulfilling. Deal! Done!

(was that a "tone" I just heard???)

No comments:

Post a Comment